I want to install PlanetPress Connect 2022 with a performance pack.
on a physical computer. This will not be virtualized.
What is the recommended hardware to get the best results?
I’m thinking of getting a SSD of 960 GB for OS and Planet installation.
and a 1TB HDD for data storage.
Of course, the specifications in the user guide recommend certain
hardware components, but I’m looking for opinions based on real-world use case.
It just so happens that we are in the process of reviewing and updating our system requirements to better reflect real-world situations.
Here’s a summary:
Hardware requirements for the OL Connect / Workflow servers
• CPU: at least 8 64-bit logical processors (aka threads)
• RAM: at least 16 GB
• Storage: at least 100GB available on fast NVMe/SSD for the system drive
• Networking: at least 1Gbps
Note: these requirements are for the OL Connect Servers. The OL Connect Designer and the Workflow Configuration Tool can be used on systems with lower hardware specifications, so long as they are not used to generate production output.*
As a rule of thumb:
- The more logical processors, the better
- Higher CPU clock speeds are recommended: 24 logical processors @3GHz may perform better than 32 logical processors @2.2 GHz, depending on the workload
- For each additional logical processor, add 2 GBs or RAM
- The number of logical processors determines the number of OL Connect engines that can efficiently be launched simultaneously
I would be interested in hearing what other users would recommend based on their own experience. Feel free to comment with your own suggestions!
Phil thank you for the reply. When it comes to generating PDF output quickly, which operating system is better: Windows Server, Windows 10, or Windows 11?
Anytime you want power and stability, you’re better off with a Server version of the OS.
That said, we haven’t tested the relative performance of these versions, so I can’t give you a definitive answer.